[Dri-devel] PPC Lockup (ati-pcigart-branch)

Michel Dänzer daenzer at relog.ch
Mon Jan 22 20:44:04 EST 2001

Come on, someone has to know what's going on here... :)

For the Linux/PPC developers: the purpose of this code is to walk a virtual
memory range and look up the page struct for each page. I spent some time on
the train this morning trying to figure out what might be wrong but couldn't
find anything obvious.

> I've narrowed down the problem by modifying the code like this:
>
>         for ( i = entry->handle, j = 0 ; j < pages ; i += PAGE_SIZE, j++ ) {
>                 printk("i: %08lx\n", i);
>                 pgd = pgd_offset_k( i );
>                 printk("pgd: %08lx\n", pgd);
>                 pmd = pmd_offset( pgd, i );
>                 printk("pmd: %08lx\n", pmd);
>                 pte = pte_offset( pmd, i );
>                 printk("pte: %08lx\n", pte);
>
>                 entry->pagelist[j]= pte_page( *pte );
>                 printk("Checkpoint 5\n");
>                 SetPageReserved( entry->pagelist[j] );
>                 printk("Checkpoint 6\n");
>
>                 if ( j < 16 ) {
>                         DRM_DEBUG("0x%08lx (page %lu) => 0x%08lx\n",
>                                   i, j,
>                                   (unsigned
> long)entry->pagelist[j]->virtual);
>                 }
>         }

[...]

> [drm] drm_sg_alloc
> i: ca292000
> pgd: c014dca0
> pmd: c014dca0
> pte: 00000a48
> Oops: kernel access of bad area, sig: 11

Looking at pgd/pmd, pte seems fishy for a pointer. Any reason why this code
shouldn't work on PPC?

Michel