Issue with small struct return values

Kevin B. Hendricks khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Sun Jan 21 12:52:39 EST 2001

Hi David,

> 	Proposing an extension to GCC is a lot more difficult than having
> GCC follow the ABI as written.

Whose decision will this be?  Is this going to be a community based decision
or will gcc decide to do this unlaterally with or without the community's
support?

What voice should the currently shipping distributions have in this?

I saw no discussion on gcc-bugs about this issue (and was not privy to your
and Geoff's previuous discussion with Andy about this issue).

That is why I responded to Andy in the first place.

What process, if any exists for this decision to be made?

I assume you wanted a community based decision since you asked Andy to cc
this to the linuxppc dev list.

Also, on a more technical note, how many <= 8 byte structures are there in
actual use anyway?  I would guess that most uninos are less than or eqaul to
8 bytes and so returning unions would change.  So according to the abi, would
we would passing a union in to a function via a pointer but returning one in
registers?

Kevin