status of ppc support in official 2.4.0 or Alan's 2.4.0-ac1

Iain Sandoe iain at sandoe.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 01:48:33 EST 2001

Hi Derek,

Mon, Jan 8, 2001, Derek Homeier wrote:

[...] re 2.4.0 tree at ppc.samba,org (I think ;-).

> I have some problems with dmasound and ppp modules, though. After some
> fiddling with modules.conf I was able to get the mixer (from gkrellm)
> to work and sound from internal and external speakers by aliasing
> char-major-13 to dmasound_awacs, but there are occasional messages about
> several sound-slot-[01] and sound-services-[01]-[013](?) modules
> missing. The mixer tends to hang and has to be killed then. While
> mpg123 did work, xmms always crashes with a Bus error on startup.

Hmm.  I built ppc.samba.org::linux-pmac-devel the other day (in response to
another query) and the dmasound module appeared to be fine.

Those messages relate to OSS (or even ALSA support, don't know without
checking) - and don't originate from the dmasound code.  Possibly there are
still facilities (like the DSP_GETCAPS type) that are not completely
implemented (or still not implemented at all).  I'll look when I get back to
it - or someone else can ;-).

For now, I suggest that (unless you desperately need it), - you disable the
OSS stuff in your .config.

ciao,
Iain.