ibook, hda power off sequence (for IBM travelstar)

Andreas Tobler toa at pop.agri.ch
Tue Jan 9 01:32:29 EST 2001

Hi all,

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> >This bit of code replaces pmu_shutdown from via-pmu.c, its the easiest
> >hack to get the IDE code to issue a sleep command to the disk at shutdown
> >time.
>
> Broadcasting fake sleep requests is definitely not the correct way to
> acheive what you want. Either add direct call to some ide-pmac sleep
> function in the arch shutdown function, or use the shutdown notifiers in
> ide-pmac to force a disk shutdown.
>
> I'll have a look at it when I'm really back.

I'm also interested in this fix since I got my travelstar DJSA-220
finally to work on a WALLSTREET! I remarked the same noisy click and
since the troubles I had with a dead toshiba I pay very much attention
to strange noises.

For those who have a wallstreet and a travelstar, here the link which
made my combination work.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/PB_G3/wallstreet_hard_drive/

I first thought I really have to buy a new Powerbook.

Only a notice, it may help some one.....

Cheers

Andreas