Timing Facilities

Joseph P. Garcia jpgarcia at execpc.com
Thu Feb 22 17:10:16 EST 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:24:57 -0600, Steve Poole <sp at is2-isnot.com> wrote:

> I have written a small assembly fragment to read the TB register that runs
> under Linux (YDL/BLL). What is the definition of a "tick" or "jiffie" under
> Linux. When some code is run under MacOS (400MHz G4) the results are
> *faster* (the numbers returned are lower) than when I run on a 500MHz G4. I
> appreciate any input.

I beleive there are 1*HZ jiffies in one second.  Used in the kernel's timer_list struct (to name one use), which basically has the kernel run a function at a specific time.  ex, setting the 'expires' value to (jiffies + HZ) will cause it to run one second from now.

--
Joseph P. Garcia
http://www.execpc.com/~jpgarcia