network stack oops 2.4.1/gcc 2.95.3

Iain Sandoe iain at sandoe.co.uk
Thu Feb 1 11:53:41 EST 2001

> Franz> I would rather think this is a new kernel bug...

Franz is quite right it is.

=====

It is a particularly nasty bug - because it is one of those where something
drops bombs in memory.

====

The code generated by gcc 2.95.3-t2 is fine - from asm through to vmlinux.

=====

However, every now and then - at run time - something trashes the location
which throws up the Illegal Instruction.

as I said - nasty - it could be *anything* and I'm not really sure how/where
to start looking...

much though I hate to admit it (being a firm believer in low-tech printk
debugging) - this is one of those cases where an ICE would really triumph...

ciao,
Iain.