unkillable zombies from using gdb and kernel 2.4.15 and higher?

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Tue Dec 11 10:35:43 EST 2001

On 10 Dec 2001, Michel [ISO-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:

> On Mon, 2001-12-10 at 21:20, Gabriel Paubert wrote:

> > > Zombies are dead, they don't get more dead if you kill them. ;)
> > >
> > > AFAIR zombies have died but are waiting for their return value to be
> > > read out of the process table. I'd like to know myself how that can
> > > happen when their parents are gone...
> >
> > They are reparented to init. One of init tasks is to reap all
> > processes who lose their parents.
>
> So how often does it do that? Can it be beaten into submission? :)

I believe init is more or less looping constantly reaping orphaned
processes, respawning the tty controlling ones (per inittab), and waiting
for signals for runlevel changes (once system startup is over). But check
the source...

It sounds more like a debugging related (ptrace ?) kernel bug.

	Gabriel.