HIGHMEM + serial console + SMP + 2GB freeze on pmac

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at drgw.net
Fri Dec 7 11:42:31 EST 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 06:25:24PM -0600, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

> > I'm going to try several other combinations of things, including taking
> > one memory stick out since this could actually be that the hardware
> > doesn't like that much memory.
>
> There is at least one problem with serial console on pmac.. I removed the
> memory (except for 1 512mb dimm)
>

> If I turn serial console on, I get a machine check in
> serial_console_write during the PCI probing.
>
> This only shows up if Xmon is NOT compiled in.. since xmon tries to use
> the port (and presumably dies also)

Another note: The serial works fine after the machine is booted up.

Troy Benjegerdes | master of mispeeling | 'da hozer' |  hozer at drgw.net
-----"If this message isn't misspelled, I didn't write it" -- Me -----
"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's
why I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Schulz