firewire screwup

Marcus O.C. Metzler mocm at convergence.de
Wed Aug 29 19:43:20 EST 2001

Timothy A. Seufert writes:

 > I think you may have corrupted nonvolatile memory.  Try doing a
 > complete PRAM wipe: turn the computer on while holding Cmd+Opt+P+R
 > and let it do several reboot / PRAM wipe cycles in a row.  Five or
 > six is probably enough.  (The first PRAM wipe doesn't clear
 > everything.  The firmware watches to see if you do several in a row
 > and will do successively more thorough resets on each iteration.)
 > --
 > Tim Seufert

I tried 6 cycles of the PRAM wipe, but still get the SELFID Timeout in
open firmware and no boot of any MacOs. I also tried disconnecting the
power and taking out the battery, still the same problem.
Maybe I should mention that I have flashed the latest firmware some
time ago, but I didn't have any problems with it, although there had
been some reports, but mainly about trouble with memory chips.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm at netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de
mocm at convergence.de                    http://www.convergence.de