firewire screwup

Marcus O.C. Metzler mocm at convergence.de
Wed Aug 29 09:42:01 EST 2001

Hi,

I am having some trouble with firewire on my powerbook g4.
On saturday I tried the latest benh kernel and everything worked fine
until I tried to modprobe the ohci1394 module. The mchine crashed
instantly. After that the time was reset to Aug. 1933 (?? not 1970),
but everything else seemed ok.
Since I had bought a new hard drive that day, I wanted to boot from my
OS 9.1 disk to install it on the drive, but the boot process hung
after a while the progress bar just stoped moving. Ok, put back the
old drive and try to boot from that one. Same story :(.
So pop in the hardware test CD to see if something broke. Nope,
everything was fine according to the test.
But booting into open firmware showed some error mesages on the top of
the screen. Something about failed self-id test. Hmm, has to be
something about firewire. So I tried booting an old kernel where
firewire didn't work but didn't crash either. This time it crashed
instantly.
Next I booted into the firewire disk mode by holding down T after
turning on the powerbook. I connected to my desktop PC where firewire
works with kernel 2.4.6 and the powerbook got the PC to hang. After
removing the cable from the powerbook, the PC worked again and dmesg said
ohci1394_0: SelfID process finished but NodeID not valid: 0800FFC0
ohci1394_0: IntEvent: 00030000
over and over.
So my guess is that something like that also happens with OS 9.1 and
by the way OSX. Is there any way to fix this?
I tried to reset the boot parameters and the open firmware default,
but that didn't help. Is my firewire port fried? Can I disable the
port? I mainly want to install Linux on the new disk, but I don't know
if that works without a Mac partition. Having OSX for some testing
would be nice too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler