glibc 2.1 -> 2.2 gotchas?

Kaoru Fukui k_fukui at highway.ne.jp
Sun Aug 26 01:55:15 EST 2001

From: "Kevin B. Hendricks" <khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca>

>  I always do a ldconfig -v; sync; sync; shutdown -r now and
> invariably I see inodes that need repairing after a glibc update.

it's no needs.
Please read glibc's FAQ  which has glibc source

I have here also at

 ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/users/kfukui/glibc-2.2.x-room/RPMS/FAQ.glibc-2.2.3

Kaoru

------------ glibc-2.2.3.FAQ (only 2.32)--------------------
2.32.	What has do be done when upgrading to glibc 2.2?

{AJ} The upgrade to glibc 2.2 should run smoothly, there's in general no
need to recompile programs or libraries.  Nevertheless, some changes might
be needed after upgrading:
- The utmp daemon has been removed and is not supported by glibc anymore.
  If it has been in use, it should be switched off.
- Programs using IPv6 have to be recompiled due to incompatible changes in
  sockaddr_in6 by the IPv6 working group.
- The Berkeley db libraries have been removed (for details see question 2.31).
- The format of the locale files has changed, all locales should be
  regenerated with localedef.  All statically linked applications which use
  i18n should be recompiled, otherwise they'll not be localized.
- glibc comes with a number of new applications.  For example ldconfig has
  been implemented for glibc, the libc5 version of ldconfig is not needed
  anymore.
- There's no more K&R compatibility in the glibc headers.  The GNU C library
  requires a C compiler that handles especially prototypes correctly.
  Especially gcc -traditional will not work with glibc headers.

Please read also the NEWS file which is the authoritative source for this
and gives more details for some topics.