glibc 2.1 -> 2.2 gotchas?

Kevin B. Hendricks khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Sun Aug 26 01:31:43 EST 2001

Hi Keith,

If you are using an RPM based distribution, please be careful.  When I tried
to do the upgrade manually awhile back I ran into trouble with many of the
new rpms being usable in RPM 4 format only and not working under RPM 3.

If I were you I would rebuild glibc 2.2.4 from a source rpm (from Franz) and
run make check first just to make sure all is well.  I would then focus on
building RPM 4 and then try to convert your rpm database over from RPM 3 to
RPM 4.o and then continue upgrading pieces.

The other easy way to make this move is to simply upgrade to YDL 2, SuSE 7.1,
Debian, Mandrake, etc. They are all glibc 2.2.X based and come with all of
the other things that need to be upgraded since they are so old (Perl, etc).

Upgrading them from glibc-2.2.1 to glibc 2.2.4 is easily done with rpm a few
syncs and a restart.

Hope this helps,

Kevin