Airport driver sleep problem and solution

Ethan Blanton eblanton at cs.ohiou.edu
Tue Aug 21 01:47:42 EST 2001

Derrik Pates spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I recently found that, if the Airport card in an iBook I've been running
> Linux on was not brought "up" at the time the system was put to sleep (by
> putting the lid down), after bringing it back out of sleep, it would no
> longer correctly operate until the driver was removed and reloaded -
> ifconfig would receive an ENODEV error, and iwconfig would report that the
> device had no wireless extensions. I found that the problem is on line 179
> of linux/drivers/net/wireless/airport.c (v0.06f, in 2.4.9-benh0), where
> the driver only calls "netif_device_attach" if card->open is TRUE - but it
> unconditionally calls "netif_device_detach" in the PBOOK_SLEEP_NOW case.
> Line 179 should be changed from "else if (card->open)" to just "else", so
> that the network device is "reattached" to the networking subsystem.

Spectacular!  I've had this trouble as well, and I solved it my just
leaving my Airport card configured all the time, regardless of whether
I was on a network or not.  I'm glad to see a real fix.  :-)
Ethan

--
If I've told you once, I've told you once
And once is all that you needed.