About TAU (and ICTC)

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Mon Aug 20 09:57:16 EST 2001

Michel Lanners writes:

> My preliminary test indicate that settig ICTC to 33 (0x21) has no
> noticeable effect on an idle machine. While running an endless kernel
> compile loop, however, it makes the CPU temperature drop from 19C to
> 15-17C, and increases battery life by about 20 min.

How long did each kernel compile take, with ICTC=0 and ICTC=0x21, and
what was the average current consumption in each case?

I would expect that the total battery charge used could well be higher
with ICTC=0x21 than with ICTC=0, particularly if you had the LCD
backlight on during the compile. :)

Regards,
Paul.