linux-2.4 & 405gp & other stuff

Dan Malek dan at mvista.com
Fri Aug 17 07:42:41 EST 2001

Jure Menart wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> I've tried to compile linux-2.4 kernel (I tried with sources from
> kernel.org and with sources from denx.de) but it wasn't successful.

Probably not.  You need to use the latest 2_4_devel sources from
BitKeeper or one of the CVS/rsync sites.  See penguinppc.org for details.

> Kernel was configured for PPC 4xx, Oak Machine type - it had included
> only parallel port, serial console, initrd, ide... really 'bare' kernel.

That's hardly a "bare" kernel......A serial port with an attached
initrd ram disk is a "bare" kernel.  You have selected nearly everything
that is supported.  I'm not sure if Oak will even run properly.  We
have been using Tivo as the 403 test platform.

> Next question I have is: What exactly is 'Machine type' in Platform
> support in kernel configuration? What are 'oak' and 'walnut'? Is this
> like description of board?

Ummm....yeah.  The Oak is a 403GCX IBM reference board.  The Walnut
is an IBM 405GP reference board.

> IBM 405gp has included ethernet controller - are there any drivers for
> it?

Yep.

	-- Dan