Power3 problem?

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Aug 17 00:54:53 EST 2001

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 10:24:54AM +1000, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> Tom Rini writes:
>
> > Well, pretending is a bad choice of words.  They are real chrp machines,
> > but they aren't 'ALL_PPC', since you can't run on a power3 and a 604 :)
>
> No, but if you had a prep or pmac with a power3 cpu, you could run the
> same vmlinux as on a chrp power3. :)

Well, true...

> > Well, I don't think it will be as bad as that.  It _should_ be possible
> > to split them out, and move the functions it uses from pmac_setup.c into
> > a common file.  If I have time I'll play with it sometime and post patches.
> > If it can be done cleanly, I don't think it'd be a bad idea, but...
>
> There is an argument for splitting out prep but I would rather keep
> pmac and chrp together since they are quite similar.

I think there's lots of good reasons to either split or not split some things
out.  I also think we should probably wait until 2.5 to do any of it.
I also think we should discuss multi platform support a bit more.  I'll
start that in a different email in a bit..

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/