PCI IDE Adapter for PPC/Linux

Matthew Locke mlocke at mvista.com
Tue Aug 14 07:50:25 EST 2001

James F Dougherty wrote:

 > Thanks Matt,
 >
 > Turning on/off the UDMA feature doesn't seem to have any affect.
 >
 > Earlier, Ben sent out an email regarding the IDE controller setup which
 >  merits some investigation. Perhaps this is why it is not working,
 > also, I cannot see any dev entries under /dev/ide/ despite the fact
 >  that there is a 100GB WDC ATA disk on the other end of the adapter
 >  .

well, like I said I used this card on the walnut all the time.  Your are
on a 405 right?.

 > What else should I look at? Also, assuming this is a brand new drive
 >  (without any partitions on it), should I boot the disk under DOS
 > and run fdisk to set up an initial MBR?

no, you don't need to boot under dos.  fdisk or parted (my favorite) can
partition a new drive.

The fact that it works a walnut but not your board points to board
specific problem.  Have you double checked IRQ routing?

Where did you get your hhl-2.4.2 kernel?  Try using the one in our
Journeyman Edition, available on our ftp site.  You can see the config
options I turned on for using the Promise card in that kernel.

 > Why can't I simply run fdisk on /dev/hda and set this up? -- because
there
 >  is no /dev/hda or /dev/ide/xx devices showing up with devfsd
 > running!
 >
 > Also, how come it is not running in Native mode? Does anyone know
 > what the changes are to the pdc driver to enable this?
 >
 > BTW, I would gladly pay MVista for support, If I had the budget for this
 >  sort of thing ... unfortunately, I don't at this point in time :-(

np.

 > Thoughts?

	Thanks, 				-James

 >> The Promise Ultra-66 is known to work on several ppc platforms in
hhl-2.4.2.
 >>   Do you have the DMA options turned on in the kernel?
 >>
 >> btw, if you are a MV customer contact support as this something we
support on the walnut and several other ppc platforms.

 >> James F Dougherty wrote:
 >>

 >>> (LOL) .... I have the Promise Ultra-66..... since it's
 >>> not working, this is what prompted me to look for an
 >>> alternative ..
 >>>
 >>> I have ported MontaVista HHL (Linux 2.4.2) to
 >>> a custom processor board, and have been
 >>> trying to run fdisk to setup a mountable root
 >>> drive.
 >>>
 >>> Kernel is 2.4.2, with the Promise driver compiled in.
 >>> I boot up, and it finds the card, and sometimes hdb
 >>> is showing up in DMA mode ...
 >>>

 >>> pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
 >>> block: queued sectors max/low 41386kB/13795kB, 128 slots per queue
 >>> RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 524288K size 1024 blocksize
 >>> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
 >>> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
 >>> PDC20262: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 70
 >>> PDC20262: chipset revision 1
 >>> PDC20262: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
 >>> PDC20262: ROM enabled at 0x000d0000
 >>> PDC20262: (U)DMA Burst Bit DISABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI
Mode.
 >>> PDC20262: FORCING BURST BIT 0x00 -> 0x01 ACTIVE
 >>>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xbfff00-0xbfff07, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
 >>>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xbfff08-0xbfff0f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
 >>> udf: registering filesystem
 >>> loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
 >>> Serial driver version 5.02 (2000-08-09) with MANY_PORTS SHARE_IRQ
SERIAL_PCI

---------------------------------
 >>> Burst Mode                           : enabled
 >>> Host Mode                            : Tri-Stated
 >>> Bus Clocking                         : 100 External
 >>> IO pad select                        : 10 mA
 >>> Status Polling Period                : 15
 >>> Interrupt Check Status Polling Delay : 15
 >>> --------------- Primary Channel ---------------- Secondary Channel
-------------
 >>>                 disabled                         disabled
 >>> 66 Clocking     enabled                          enabled
 >>>            Mode MASTER                      Mode MASTER
 >>>                 Error                            Error
drive1 ------
 >>> DMA enabled:    yes              yes             yes               yes
 >>> DMA Mode:       NOTSET           NOTSET          NOTSET
NOTSET
 >>> PIO Mode:       NOTSET            NOTSET           NOTSET
   NOTSET