PReP and generic PCI resource assignment

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Aug 9 20:18:33 EST 2001

>At any rate, relocating PCI resource 1 on this controller from 0x0 to
>0x01000000 causes my VGA console to go backwards endian. I don't know why
>this would be the case... Re-moving it back to 0x0 fixes the symptom. Any
>ideas on why this could happen? I think VGA is all IO, no memory at all?

VGA is both IO and memory. It's possible that your VGA card is so broken
that it only use the low-order bits of addresses and use the high addresses
as flags, for example to access a "bug endian" aperture :) That would suck
as it would mean you actually have address aliasing going on on the bus,
possiby causing weird conflicts.

>I'm curious about PCIBIOS_MIN_MEM... Why does that exist, and why was it
>given that value?

Note sure, I don't really like the way it's used and hard coded....

Ben.