XF4 (mach64) help please

Iain Sandoe iain at sandoe.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 05:07:18 EST 2001

On  Thu, Apr 19, 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Iain Sandoe wrote:
>> the

>> > This is already done by atyfb in the kernel,
>>
>> then why is the atyfb scroll (and fbdevhw) _so_ much slower than the X
>> 'native' driver ... the same reason as below?
>
> Because xterm uses jump scroll? Try scrolling line by line in X11.

hmmm.  I was comparing "before" and "after" changing to Ani's new ati_drv.o
(before was using libfbdevhw.a) - in all other respects the configuration
was identical.

this is mach64 (3DU Pro) on G3/beige - the difference seemed to be striking
enough to comment (but I guess I could wind it back and do an X11Perf).

>> >however the problem lies in
>> > the entire fbcon layer where there is some improper locking/interrupts
>
> Read: the entire console layer. Fbcon cannot (read: couldn't) use interrupts
> because the upper console layer disables (disabled) interrupts.
>
>> > going on there.  This was discussed here and on linux-fbdev a few months
>> > ago and I believe will be addressed in 2.5.
>>
>> and there is a (temporary) fix for it (I believe) involving a patch from
>> Andrew Morton - (which I haven't had time to try on PPC yet).  Will that fix
>> the slow console scroll as well?
>
> It's supposed to. Haven't tried it yet, though.

I will ASAP - AFAICT the various blocking issues are the main problem with
(pmac) sound now.

ciao,
Iain.