XF4 (mach64) help please

Iain Sandoe iain at sandoe.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 04:21:51 EST 2001

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001,  Ani Joshi wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, William Blew wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001, Iain Sandoe wrote:
>>
>> > 2/  how difficult would it be to plumb the scroll acceleration back into
the
>> > console driver?  (would one need access to the NDA stuff?) -- the scrolling
>> > of console is a real problem in blocking sound :-/
>>
>> For mach64 at least, I would start by porting the CopyScreen2Screen XXA
>> operation into the kernel and then using it during scrolling.
>
> This is already done by atyfb in the kernel,

then why is the atyfb scroll (and fbdevhw) _so_ much slower than the X
'native' driver ... the same reason as below?

>however the problem lies in
> the entire fbcon layer where there is some improper locking/interrupts
> going on there.  This was discussed here and on linux-fbdev a few months
> ago and I believe will be addressed in 2.5.

and there is a (temporary) fix for it (I believe) involving a patch from
Andrew Morton - (which I haven't had time to try on PPC yet).  Will that fix
the slow console scroll as well?

ciao,
Iain.