xf 4.0.1 + ati driver with rage II/rage pro

Michel Dänzer daenzerm at student.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 29 23:02:37 EST 2000

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > So here we have three fb devices in the kernel (you could check with
> > fbset that each is in fact accessible via /dev/fb[0-2]), and XFree unable
> > to cope. You specify the PCI bus ID but not the corresponding framebuffer
> > device node - I heard someone mention this was possible when I was
> > fighting the Lombard crashes, could anyone point out the syntax to use
> > there?
> >
> > If we can't specify the fb node XFree will have to probe for it (Geert
> > mentioned an easy way to do that: open the device and compare
> > pScrn->memPhysBase or fPtr->fix.smem_start to the PCI base address).
>
> Besides, the current fbdev_open_pci() can't cope with multiple cards of the
> same type, and doesn't recognize ATI Mach64.

Which should also be fixed now. Another update :)

Reminder: The binary modules are at

http://n.ethz.ch/student/daenzerm/download/X4-fbdev-test.tar.bz2

, the diff is at

http://n.ethz.ch/student/daenzerm/download/X-fbdev.diff.gz

Mr Shapiro, please test if this makes the ati driver work in your triple-head
box.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project