__ioremap_at() in 2.4.0-test9-pre2

Benjamin Herrenschmidt bh40 at calva.net
Fri Sep 29 10:33:01 EST 2000

Earlier today, I wrote:

>Then, we can have separate:
> - isa_io_remap(range),
> - isa_mem_remap(range),
> - pci_io_remap(pci_bus, resource_addr)
> - pci_mem_remap(pci_bus, resource_addr)
>
> .../...

Obviously this would be a long term plan and need more thinking and then
endless discussions on the linux-kernel list...

That's why I liked, as a temporary workaround, what Paul proposed which
was basically to have the kernel hack a MMU mapping that puts all IO
busses together, the first one beeing the default for legacy devices
(eventually selected via a kernel arg).

This way, inb/outb would work for legacy devices on this bus and for
normal PCI IO "apertures" by using resource[x]->start as a base (like all
PCI drivers currently do AFAIK)

We would have to fixup IO resources of all other IO busses, but I think
it's the less painful solution for 2.4.

Ben.