beige g3 rage II xf4.0.1 and miBoot

R Shapiro rshapiro at bbn.com
Fri Sep 29 02:03:52 EST 2000

Just to add one more data point (as if another were needed :).  I
tried switching from BootX to miBoot on the rev. a beige g3 minitower.
It boots fine but then can't run xf 4.0.1 at all, even with the fbdev
driver and a single Screen/Device pair.  The symptom is the same as
using ati drivers in a BootX boot: no errors in the log, no core file,
just an endlessly ringing bell and a hosed linux that I have to
three-finger reboot (I can't get to a console and or connect via ssh
to shut it down cleanly).

I plan to try quik-booting as soon as I can figure out the boot-device
syntax for ide drives (I've only configured quik-booting on scsi up
til now).

rshapiro at bbn.com