xf 4.0.1 with rage II/rage pro -- multi-headed display!

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Wed Sep 27 22:20:30 EST 2000

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > You were looking at it, from what I guess. Apple's drivers set up
> > > overlapping areas for MMIO and VRAM, and X fixes this by disabling one of
> > > these. Unfortunatly, the kernel doesn't notice.
> >
> > Fortunately these PCI assignment bugs should be circumvented by the new PCI
> > code we're working on.
>
> ... in 2.4.x, I believe. Problem is, most people aren't crazy enough to
> use 2.4.0 (-test8 in particular).
>
> All you can do in 2.2 is the 'pick and pray' approach: pick an alternate
> address for MMIO bases on some heuristics or wild guesses, and pray you
> don't trample on other card's resources. Works for me, but I warn anyone
> to be careful with that method.
>
> I've posted such a patch to debian-powerpc when one user there had this
> problem. That was before I learned booting with yaboot avoids the problem.
> If the resource conflict also happens on oldworld machines, I'd still
> prefer some suggestions to foolproof the patch (as in: how can I figure
> out if a region has been allocated by another card? What bits from the
> config registers should I look at?).

You should walk all PCI devices and construct your own resource tree from
pci_dev->base_address[i]. After that you know the conflicts and unassigned
addresses and can look for free space. Unfortunately this is probably nearly
as much work as backporting the 2.4.x PCI resource code (which is tested,
unlike new code you would invent).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds