[RFC] IPC64 with glibc-2.2 and linux-2.4

Franz Sirl Franz.Sirl-kernel at lauterbach.com
Wed Sep 27 08:24:05 EST 2000

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Geoff Keating wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:10:45 +0200
> > From: Franz Sirl <Franz.Sirl-kernel at lauterbach.com>
> > Cc: libc-alpha at sources.redhat.com, linuxppc-dev at lists.linuxppc.org
> >
> > Yeah, I know. But it's no problem for me to push this change into the
> > kernel after some people (including you :-)) have agreed to the principle
> > of the patch.
>
> I too agree with the principle of the patch.  There's no reason to
> limit this quantity to 16 bits.

OK, here is the final patch, if nobody objects I'll ask Ben to push the
kernel changes into bitkeeper.

Changes to previous version:
	- bumped ipc_perm.seq member to 32 bit
	- padded shmid_ds.shm_segsz to prepare for size_t expansion
	- added an unrelated LFS change for fcntl.h

> Did you test it?  There are four combinations to check:
>
> new application/new kernel
> old application/new kernel  (to test symbol versioning)
> new application/old kernel  (test translation of old structure to new)
> old application/old kernel  (this should Just Work if the above cases work)
> 			    (but of course you should still check it :-) )

Yeah, I did test all but the new/new combination myself (haven't had time to
recompile xf4 yet), but Jack tested it successfully.

Franz.

	* sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/kernel-features.h: Add __ASSUME_IPC64, only define´
	it for powerpc for kernel >= 2.4.0.
	* sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/msgctl.c: Test for __ASSUME_IPC64, not
	__ASSUME_32BITUIDS.
	* sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/semctl.c: Likewise.
	* sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/shmctl.c: Likewise.
	* sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/powerpc/bits/ipc.h: Sync with kernel.
	* sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/powerpc/bits/msq.h: New file.
	* sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/powerpc/bits/sem.h: New file.
	* sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/powerpc/bits/shm.h: New file.
	* sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/powerpc/bits/fcntl.h: Add defines for LFS record
	locking.