ybin, nvsetenv and MacOS X

johnathan spectre jspectre at lords.com
Tue Sep 26 05:26:17 EST 2000

Thanks to Ethan Benson's help I have ybin up and running, updating nvsetenv
(available at
ftp://www.penguinppc.org/users/hollis/pmac-utils-2.0-2.src.rpm) let me use
nvsetenv with a PowerBook G3 (Firewire). ybin will now properly set OF's
boot variables so I don't have to.

I now have one problem left. The triple-booter works fine for MacOS 9 and
Linuxppc (via yaboot), but when I try to boot MacOS X I have the following
problem...

After an install of ybin (I've reinstalled it a few times) selecting "x"
will result in some disk activity the first time I press "x". Then return me
to ybin's boot menu.

Pressing "x" every time after boots me into my MacOS 9 partition as if I
pressed "m" or let the system boot to default (it doesn't cycle after that
first time).

I'm wondering if ybin hasn't been updated to MacOS X Beta yet or is
something wrong? OS X is installed on partition 16 on my system and boots
fine if I use Apple's boot disk app to set it as the boot volume.

Additionally, I tried "boot hd:16,\\:tbxi" which is what I thought the boot
menu was trying to do. I get an error message and nothing happens (I might
be wrong though, I'm still learning what these scripts do).

Any help? Suggestions? Thanks!