xf 4.0.0/1 with rage II/rage pro -- should the ati driver work?

Michel Dänzer daenzerm at student.ethz.ch
Mon Sep 25 03:14:34 EST 2000

Martin Costabel wrote:

> Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >
> > Michel Lanners wrote:
> []
> > > Because I'm experiencing this as well with fbdev, and the problem is the
> > > same for all Apple non-accelerated framebuffers (control, platinum,
> > > valkyrie), AFAICT. So it would be helpful if this problem would get
>
> For what it's worth: I have *no* problem with Franz's 4.0.1 RPMs and a
> valkyrie display. It works for 8 bit color without and for 15 bit color
> with a modeline in XFConfig. It doesn't work for 16 bit color (and more
> than that is out of reach for valkyrie with 1MB VRAM).

The X 4 fbdev code used to pass the depth incorrectly in the PUTSCREENINFO
ioctl. I have a fix for that too and will submit it with the rest.

> > > fixed once and for all. FWIW, no propblem with XF3.x.
> >
> > That's why I'm working with Geert, who wrote the 3.x code :)
> >
> > I'm currently having problems with the MMIO mapping of his code, will
> > investigate. The Vidmem mapping works for me (although it also worked
> > before), so any volunteers for testing please line up to me for a patch :)
>
> I'd volunteer if you provide a precompiled server binary. For compiling
> XFree86 myself, my machine is too slow.

All you'd need to update would be the libfbdevhw.a and fbdev_drv.o modules. I
think I'll put them up RSN at

http://n.ethz.ch/student/daenzerm/download/X4-fbdev-test.tar.bz2

Beware: DON'T use this with an accelerated driver right now.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project