__ioremap_at() in 2.4.0-test9-pre2

Frank Rowand frank_rowand at mvista.com
Sat Sep 23 07:06:01 EST 2000

Dan Malek wrote:

> Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>
> > But you suggested the use of the MMU to map all I/O spaces from all bridges
> > into one merged and consecutive universal I/O space.
>
> Well, Paul is suggesting that, I don't really care and I think it
> is a detail that doesn't matter.  I prefer the approach:
>
>         addr_to_use = tell_me_where()
>         inb(addr_to_use)
>
> but I guess I am wrong on this :-).  Everyone seems to like hacking
> addresses either in the PCI resources structures or within the macros
> rather than doing it as a one time operation in some well contained
> platform specific function.  I already know I can't use a simple

I've been staying out of this discussion because I didn't want to just add
noise.  But what the heck...  I think that the flexibility of the
tell_me_where() approach is very appealing.  It allows for arbitrary future
designs of hardware topologies, including complex fabrics.  (OK, so I don't
know of any planned fabric designs for PowerPC, just other architectures.)

I do know that the IBM 405 processors have split PCI I/O space into two
non-contigous blocks in the physical address map.  My current implementation
only allows access to the first block.  Adding the second block is going
to be a bit "painful" (extra code complexity, etc) for me.

> mapping/arithmetic solution on a platform I have, so I am going to
> pay a high penalty for people using in/out on PCI I/O space.  Fortunately,
> I can use drivers for devices that have PCI memory, although I will
> have to modify them, and most of the drivers will be new and unique.

-Frank
--
Frank Rowand <frank_rowand at mvista.com>
MontaVista Software, Inc