Custom serial keyboard: playing dirty with the serial console

Michael Schmitz schmitz at opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Sep 22 01:18:52 EST 2000

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 16:18:37 +0200 (CEST)
From: Michael Schmitz <schmitz at opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de>
To: Paolo Scaffardi <arsenio at tin.it>
cc: linuxppc-dev at lists.linuxppc.org
Subject: Re: Custom serial keyboard: playing dirty with the serial console
Fcc: sent-mail

> Everything is now ok: i receive correct packets, convert them to XT
> scancodes and call 'handle_scancode' to process them.
>
> But 'handle_scancode' only prints characters to the console, without
> apparently processing them. I see everything i write, but when i press enter
> (scancode 0x1c), i only see a new line in the console, not any new bash
> prompt.
>
> Why this? Is it correct to intercept the serial console and not returning
> single characters from inside it but from 'handle_scancode' mode?

I don't think so - serial console is supposed to be used with terminals or
terminal emulators which send ASCII codes not scancodes. Try to directly
call handle_scancode (possibly via some glue code like keyboard_input for
ADB) from the serial interrupt without going over the tty line discpline.

	Michael