__ioremap_at() in 2.4.0-test9-pre2

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Tue Sep 19 16:56:26 EST 2000

Hi Paul,

On  19 Sep, this message from Paul Mackerras echoed through cyberspace:
> What I am intending to do is to map the I/O space of all the PCI host
> bridges in consecutive areas beginning at some address such as
> 0xff000000, with some amount of space such as 64kB or 1MB per bridge,
> whatever is appropriate.  Then we adjust the I/O port numbers in the
> pci_dev structures by adding on host_bridge_nr * space_per_bridge.  As
> a side effect, isa_io_base (which is really pci_io_base) becomes a
> constant.

Good idea. Keep in mind however, that not all bridges reserve the same
amount of space for IO. So you either need to cope with that, or chose
smaller, fixed-size regions, and be prepared to squeeze all devices into
that space. Which shouldn't be a problem, since I can't see why someone
would want to access something larger than a few bytes via IO...

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan at cpu.lu            |