per-fb mmap for platinumfb and valkyriefb in 2.4 (and 2.2)

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Thu Sep 14 16:46:45 EST 2000

On  14 Sep, this message from Martin Costabel echoed through cyberspace:
>> Anyway, here it is for both 2.2 and 2.4. Note that to compile on 2.2,
>> you need my controlfb patch implementing mmap as well, since without it,
>> this one won't compile (get it on sourceforge).
>
> Tried it for valkyriefb: Doesn't work. It works in console mode, where
> it actually feels like it is scrolling fast, but starting X gives an
> immediate system freeze. I tried it twice, but now I'll go to bed.

Sh....

>> Have fun!
>
> Not much fun in hard rebooting and watching 15 minutes of fsck.

Sorry about that.... hope you slept well nevertheless ;-)

Can you have a look and see what might be wrong? Ill do the same,
hopefully tonight, but no guarantee...

A quick look shows that valkyrie has a single memory region, with the
framebuffer, the registers and the colormap all within the same region.
That might blow up the logic within valkyrie_mmap() to defferentiate between
framebuffer and mmio.

Thanks

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |