success 2.4.0-test8 with latest bk

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Sep 14 08:20:42 EST 2000

Michel Lanners wrote:

> On  13 Sep, this message from Benjamin Herrenschmidt echoed through cyberspace:

> > That's not the first time I notice this strange behaviour. I meant, this

> Same for me, except that for a few weeks now I'm basically stuck in a
> non-booting mood. One out of roughly 20 tries boots indeed; all the
> other stop in various places in init/main.c. Not even going into xmon...
>
> Since it doesn't seem to be a reproducible crash in one specific place,
> its rather hard to isolate the problem. I feel like chasing ghosts...
> Anybody got Ghostbusters' phone?

Actually, it (latest bk-2.4.0-test) is now pretty stable again on my old
6400(*). The only problems are those that seem to plague everybody:

I had to apply Al Viro's remaining fix for
fs/buffers.c:block_truncate_page() ("kernel BUG at ll_rw_blk.c:711"),
otherwise I was dropped into xmon all the time. Linus seems to hide
under a ton of brown paper bags.

There are now processes that don't listen to SIGHUP or to Ctrl-C (bk
sccstool, for example) and get transformed into zombies.

(*) I'll check your valkyriefb patch as soon as I can find it, so it
might not remain as stable :-)

--
Martin