Roles for distributions

Hendricks, Kevin khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Tue Sep 12 05:04:31 EST 2000

Hi David,

>	Kevin, I think that your initial message was much more hostile
>than necessary.  It did not come across as PowerPC Linux volunteers need
>more help.  Instead of attacking everyone who had a negative reaction to
>your original note, maybe you should consider that it was phrased poorly.
>You have jumped down my throat enough times when I came across differently
>than I had intended.
>
>David

Yes, you are absolutely correct.  Hindsight is 20/20.

I still don't read my note as "hostile" to distribution individuals or
developers but enough people have and continue to do so.  That means what I
meant to say and what they read are not the same thing.

Unfortunately, empiricial evidence is nice but after the fact! ;-)  I just
don't like things becoming personal and still don't.  It just isn't needed.

I tried to correct my "error" by saying that it was never my intent to
imply or state that individuals do not contribute enough.  It was to say
the toolchain is important and we are basically down to Franz and he
doesn't even have glibc checkin privleges.

I still think the distributions could free up someone even part time now
that Gary Thomas has gone away and should. They are the only ones making
any money and the only ones that have the financial resources.  The rest of
us just volunteer our time.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Kevin

--
Kevin B. Hendricks, Associate Professor of Operations and Information
Technology