Roles for distributions

Hendricks, Kevin khendricks at ivey.uwo.ca
Tue Sep 12 00:33:56 EST 2000

Hi Dan,

>So, do you actually _pay_ for any of these distributions and their
>available support or subscriptions, or are you just one of the slackers
>the expects someone else to pay for your free software?
>
>All of the distributions you mention will support you.....well,
>maybe not any more....

That is a nasty thing to say... And unfotunately you picked on the wrong
person.

I have bought and paid for LinuxPPC 1999, YellowDog 1.1 and YellowDog 1.2
and SuSE 6.4 (I have also been given copies for free of YellowDog Linuxppc,
and SuSE 6.4).  I bought the packages to help support the movement.

The reason I was given them for free was that I have helped with
development since the oringal MkLinux came along.  I have been involved in
porting the JDK (and I am again part of Blackdown), fixing kernel bugs,
fixing glibc bugs, helping test gdb, submitted fixes to mozilla, wrote the
intial frame buffer support for rage128 for XF 3.9.17 (with help from
others), hacked in usb mouse support in Xpmac, made fixes for Rage 128 and
Mach 64 acceleration in Xpmac, etc.

I strongly feel that any user / developer should give back to the community
for what he uses.  I do constantly.  If you still don't believe me check
out the dev mailing list archive, my java site, the glibc mailing lists,
the mozilla bug reports (with patches) etc as far back at the original
MkLinux release.

I expect a full apology now.

Kevin

--
Kevin B. Hendricks, Associate Professor of Operations and Information
Technology