radeonfb ver. 0.0.5

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Mon Sep 11 23:36:00 EST 2000

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Ani Joshi wrote:
> Attatched is a somewhat initial release of radeonfb for ATI Radeon
> chipset.  Its a patch against 2.4.0-test8.
>
> Anyhow, ATI requested I write this driver because it is apparent that the
> Radeon will be in the next series of Apple machines.  These machines
> aren't shipping yet so this release is relatively premature.

This is really cool! Has ATI (finally) seen The Light?

> Yet another school year has begun around here and free time for hacking is
> a rare thing so if anyone would like to help, please do, I will try my
> best to maintain it for as long as possible.

Thanks a lot!

I know it's preliminary, but I do have some comments:

  - The code is not 64-bit clean:

	struct radeonfb_info {
	    u32 mmio_base_phys;
	    u32 fb_base_phys;

    These should be `unsigned long'.

	    u32 mmio_base;
	    u32 fb_base;

    These should be some pointer type, e.g. `void *'.

	};

  - As long as the request_mem_region() calls are commented out, please put
    the initialization call in fbmem.c _after_ those for offb and vesafb.

  - You don't have to provide an empty fb_ioctl() function, a NULL pointer in
    fb_ops is sufficient.

  - In DIRECTCOLOR mode, there is a colormap (32 entries for rgb555, 64 for
    rgb565, 256 for rgb888)

  - There's no need to include <video/fbcon-cfb24.h> if you don't support 24
    bpp.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds