Platform configuration (was: Re: CONFIG_PPC != Mac)

Timothy A. Seufert tas at mindspring.com
Tue Sep 5 20:32:29 EST 2000

At 1:02 PM +0200 9/1/00, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

>>1. Resource conflicts are reported for the CMD646 IDE controller and
>>an Adaptec 2940UW card
>
>Please, send me logs of dmesg, /proc/device-tree (with lsprop), and /
>proc/pci.

OK, finally got a chance to play with 2.4 again.  Here they are.

>>4. Probably due to the resource conflict problem, the aic7xxx driver
>>doesn't recognize the 2940.  This is a showstopper for me because my
>>
>>root partition's on a drive connected to the 2940.
>
>I'll see what I can do.

I managed to boot 2.4 from the SCSI drive and get the above logs by
using the hack Tom Rini suggested (comment out a test in aic7xxx
which rejects improperly configured PCI devices).  Thanks, Tom!

Booting takes a long time thanks to the cmd646 driver taking a very
long time to figure out that it's screwed, but once it's up 2.4 seems
OK on this box.

I did have one further problem.  Since the installation on this box
is LPPC 2K, it uses labels rather than device numbers to mount
partitions.  Label based mounting appears to be quite broken in 2.4,
it couldn't find the root partition at all.  I think I've seen this
mentioned before on the main linux-kernel mailing list, but I'm not
sure.  In any case, I just rebooted the box with 2.2 and changed
fstab to mount by device instead of label, and then 2.4 was happy.

I also tried Geert's PCI patch (the one on sourceforge), but it
caused a kernel panic during boot.