PATCH: improved processor config for G3s

Adrian Cox apc at agelectronics.co.uk
Mon Sep 4 21:34:58 EST 2000

Gabriel Paubert wrote:

> A rule of thumb is the following: fully SMP capable processors broadcast
> eieio (and tlbie for that matter), others do not at least by default. On
> an UP 750 (SMP 750 are an aberration in any case because of TLB issues),
> I'd bet that it is more efficient to let the processor perform store
> gathering when it can (an eieio between both stores will prevent it) and
> to disable both ABE in the processor and store gathering in the bridge.
> This will result in lower processor bus utilization.

Remember that the processor store gathering is only capable of turning
two 32-bit writes to uncached, nonguarded space into one 64-bit write.
The bridge store gathering converts an arbitrary sequence of sequential
writes into a PCI burst.

The bridge store gathering should be able to produce far more IO
improvement, and still works if the guard bit is set on the address
space.

I should have done a set of MPC107 experiments by the start of October,
and I'll know for sure then.

- Adrian Cox, AG Electronics