SCC chip bug on various macs

Takashi Oe toe at unlserve.unl.edu
Mon Sep 4 14:40:03 EST 2000

Hi,

According to Darwin's SCC driver, there is a chip bug in that the receiver
may lock up when certain conditions are met.  The affected machines listed
in the driver source are:

Performa 5400/6400/6500, 20th Anniversary Mac, PowerBook 2400/3400,
StarMax 3000, PowerMac 4400, Power Macintosh G3 (Gossamer).

The workaround is in FixZeroBug() of Darwin source:

IO/Drivers/Port/AppleSCCSerial/AppleSCCSerial.kmodproj/SccChipPrimatives.cpp

Last I checked, this workaround is not in Linux's
drivers/macintosh/macserial.c, and I suspect this bug might account for
occassional failure reports with mac serial.

Anybody care to code it for Linux?  I would do it if I had any of the
affected machine, but I don't, so .... anybody?  :)

Cheers,

Takashi Oe