kernel source rpm

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Mon Oct 30 20:33:00 EST 2000

"Timothy A. Seufert" wrote:

> At 12:36 PM -0700 10/28/00, Michael Norton wrote:
> >hi,
> >
> >I am working on an application which requires the header file
> ><linux/limits.h>.
> >Which file do I need to rpm from the LinuxPPC 2000 CD-Rom to install kernel
> >source?
>
> Don't do that.  Kernel header files are not intended to be directly
> #include'd into user applications.  Use the the GNU C and/or C++
> libraries and headers like you're supposed to, and you will not
> depend on kernel files at all.

This is correct in the Linus-approved True Linux Userspace (tm). Problem
is that on RedHat based systems like linuxppc, glibc doesn't contain
/usr/include/linux except as a symlink to /usr/src/linux/include/linux.
So you need either kernel sources from some archive or the
"kernel-headers" RPM.

--
Martin