initial console

Xavier Grave grave at ipno.in2p3.fr
Thu Oct 19 02:24:17 EST 2000

On Thu, 19 Oct 2000, Chris Leishman wrote:
> I know it sounds dumb, but have you ensured that you've got the root partition
> set correctly?  I've seen these errors before when I had a root partition
> specified that didn't contain /dev or /sbin/init.

/dev/sda5 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/sda2 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /home type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sda7 on /export/data1 type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sda8 on /export/data2 type ext2 (rw)

And I give the following argument root=/dev/sda5
with the 2.4.0 kernel it fails but with a 2.2.17 kernel it works.

33 (0) 1 69 15 79 59
De chacun selon ses forces, a chacun selon ses besoins