HIGHMEM now working

Paul Mackerras paulus at linuxcare.com.au
Wed Oct 18 16:36:47 EST 2000

Dan Malek writes:

> Right, but that is just the most recent implementation for something
> we have to admit exists and we integrate into your HIGHMEM and other
> changes.  We have to allow, somehow, mapping of board control registers
> or other resources that must be used prior to page tables or other
> VM initialization.  Right now we map things in BATs or large TLB

OK, that means you need to access these things in the bootloader, or
inside identify_machine() (which calls m8xx_init in your case) or
MMU_init().  Once we get into setup_arch (and then m8xx_setup_arch) we
can just ioremap as normal.

What do you have to initialize that can't wait until m8xx_setup_arch?
Can you give me an example of what sorts of physical addresses you
need to access?

Thanks,
Paul.

--
Paul Mackerras, Senior Open Source Researcher, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990 tel, +61 2 6262 8991 fax