[linux-fbdev] Re: Video driver bug

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Sun Oct 15 03:41:49 EST 2000

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Takashi Oe wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>
> > >That's for 2.5.0. I think the first thing we need to do in 2.5.0 is to remove
> > >all `mess with non-visible VCs' support, so /dev/fb* works on the _current_
> > >video mode.
> >
> > Well, my understanding is that MOL needs to be able to "probe" for all
> > supported mode. Doing so on a visible console would definitely be hell.
> > It does that in order to setup the MacOS-side driver mode list.
>
> According to Samuel's last post, MOL needs both var and fix for probing.
> If there is something like:
>
> struct fb_probe_info {
> 	struct fb_var_screeninfo var;
> 	struct fb_fix_screeninfo fix;
> };

Why does it need fix? Relying on data from fix for a mode that is not yet
really set is not wise: there's no guarantee that fix will be the same when the
mode is really set later.

Example: dual-head cards, where the resolution on one head is changed so the
card's memory management is changed.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds