2.4 kernel doesn't allocate resource for my PCI Board

Geert Uytterhoeven geert at linux-m68k.org
Thu Oct 12 22:28:22 EST 2000

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Xavier Grave wrote:
> I'm new to this list. I'm working on a VME Board from motorolla
> (MVME2303) and I have a 2.2.17 kernel running without problem.
>
> The board have a Pci Mezzanine Card with a NCR 53c895 chip for my SCSI
> disk. When I try to boot the latest kernel (I'm trying from 2.4.0-test6 up
> to 2.4.0-test10) I have the following error message during boot :
>
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 1 of device 00:11.0
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 2 of device 00:11.0
> PCI: Failed to allocate resource 2 for Symbios Logic Inc. (formerly
> NCR) 53c895

I assume you are using kernels from ftp.*.kernel.org? These don't have calls
to pci_read_bridge_bases() in any of the PPC specific files.

This is fixed for at least some machines (G4?) in the BitKeeper tree. For
MVME, someone with the hardware needs to take a look, I guess.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds