2.4 madness!

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Thu Oct 5 16:57:01 EST 2000

Hi Tony,

On   4 Oct, this message from Tony Mantler echoed through cyberspace:
> Ok, so in an effort to exploit cheap-ass IDE HDs, I'm playing around with a
> plain vanilla Promise ATA100 card in a Pmac 7600 (which currently runs
> 2.2.15 just fine).

Been there, done that, for a Promise Ultra66 ;-)

> I first tried compiling a 2.2.17 kernel with the latest ide patch, which
> resulted in a machine check on startup. bummer.

That could have been PCI problems....

Anyway, I'd suggest starting with:

1. Andre Hedrick's ATA patches (but I suppose you knew that), available
   somewhere on kernel.org, users/hedrick. AFAIK, the 2.2 patches
   _don't_ contain support for the U/100, though...

2. Get my PCI patches, available here:

   http://www.cpu.lu/~mlan/linux/dev/pci.html

...and cross fingers ;-)

Good luck