apmd and other archs

Michael Schmitz schmitz at opal.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de
Fri Nov 24 00:54:56 EST 2000

> We have here a big fat hardware difference. A PMU's a PMU, and an APM BIOS's an
> APM BIOS. I'm now working (with help from Joseph Garcia) on an APM library for
> PMUD. It hides PMUD from the libapm-using battery applets. I posted last week a
> first "socket" version that uses the TCP socket on the loopback interface to get
> its information. And I could compile some programs from the apmd distribution
> and battstat with it.

Glad you mention it again - I didn't follow up on that on the spot and had
already forgotten this.

It seems this apm-pmud glue library would solve our problem in user space
entirely (except for apps that directly cat /proc/apm). The battery status
commands to the PMU are sent via /dev/adb and I'm not sure how this can
be safely done from kernel code.

	Michael