5200 needs a good home

Tony Mantler nicoya at apia.dhs.org
Sun Nov 19 07:49:28 EST 2000

Due to the time constraints of getting a Real Job[tm] shortly after
originally inheriting my Performa 5200 from my mother a while back
(originally owned by my sister), I haven't been able to follow through on
my goal of porting linux to it.

With the recent aquisition of my shiny-happy 9600/200mp, I no longer have
any use for this 5200. Therefore, I'm offering it for sale to a PPC Linux
developer in hopes that my original thought to get it running the
mainstream linux kernel won't be lost for ever.

For those of you too young to remember this particular model of powermac,
here's a quick rundown of the specs:

75 MHz PowerPC 603e, attached to 2 72 pin SIMM sockets (non-interleaved) by
a blazingly fast 152 meg/sec (according to my calculator) system bus.

My particular unit has 48 megs of ram, and no HD (IDE HDs are cheap and
plentiful). It has a 2x CDRom, 15" screen that can be driven by the
internal Valkyrie video at 832x624x8. It doesn't have any of the tuner or
video options, but these can occasionally be found on ebay.

It currently has an LC-PDS ethernet card installed (RJ-45, of course), and
has room for an adittional ComSlot-I ethernet card, making it a great
option for a firewall/nat system with a built-in display.

It has no NuBus slots, no PCI slots, no OpenFirmware. It is effectivley a
Quadra 630 with a PowerPC upgrade, and has little resemblance to either PCI
powermacs or NuBus powermacs.

It can run the latest MacOS and MkLinux. I would like to see it in the
hands of someone who can make it run regular mainstream Linux. (NetBSD
would be second best, if any beasties read this list)

So, if you're a serious PPC Linux developer, and think you can make use of
this machine for some porting work, email me what you think this system is
worth. (please note that I'm selling the system only, no
mouse/keyboard/modem/whatever. Also remember to factor shipping costs from
Winnipeg, MB (R2L 1J7) to wherever you are, the package is roughly 60 lbs
and rather large)

Cheers - Tony 'Nicoya' Mantler :)

--
Tony "Nicoya" Mantler - Renaissance Nerd Extraordinaire - nicoya at apia.dhs.org