booting with quik off hard disk on 7220

Ethan Benson erbenson at alaska.net
Sat Nov 11 15:36:39 EST 2000

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 03:27:02PM +1100, Steven Hanley wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 06:09:24PM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > > nvsetenv boot-file ' /boot/vmlinux-2.2.17 root=/dev/hda6'
> >
> > this is redunant, when you have a proper quik.conf you don't need the
> > boot-file variable, in fact it seems to bork things up in my
> > experience helping someone with a 7200.  i would null out the
> > boot-file variable.
>
> hmm so what should be in quik.conf instead? With my current quik.conf if I
> dont have that variable set quik stops on the grey screen where the boot:
> prompt is and asks me to enter a [device:][partno]/path which if I enter
> device and boot-file vairable settings in will then boot into the blank
> screen with no hard disk activity just like it does now.

odd that doesn't happen on my friend's 7200, maybe try adding device=
to quik.conf with the correct OF device (but not the image name)

device=ata/ata at 0:0 or something like that.

> yeah happy to give you shell access to the machine as soon as I have debian
> installed and working, I can take the computer and put it online somewhere
> for a while.

cool, let me know when you have time.

> oh well the grey screen with the second stage boot loader and the
> boot: prompt for quik, this doesnt show up unless I set the output device,
> the computer on power on or reboot without setting theoutput device after I
> have done a command option p r just sits there with a black screen and no
> disk activity (kind of like I am either in OF or have gotten past the quik
> boot: prompt and have that blank screen there.)

ah i see, interesting, sounds like quik has its own minimal video
driver, this way OF itself won't show up since it has no driver, but
quik will since it has its own.  nifty.

> oh good, when I still had macos on the machine I thought it was probably
> safer to leave it there, but now I dnt need bootx I wont need them anymore
> either it seems :)

yup ;)

> hmm, okay well I just tried a 2.2.18pre18 kernel I had compiled (that worked
> on the machine with bootx) rsynced from paulus' stable tree a few days ago
> and it also gave me a black screen and no disk activity.

a serial terminal might help here, some OpenFirmware messages are
usually printed but you can't see them unless you have  serial term.
whether they are helpful or not i don't know.  a kernel hacker could
help you better there.

> I will try to track down a tarball of 2.2.10 (I believe there is still one
> on ftp.linuxcare.com.au) and try it next and home it works. Will also try
> the changing of the partition labels to swap and root.

try a 2.2.14 too.  though 2.2.17 was the first since .14 that worked
fine on my friend's 7200.

> hmm I dont have another mac around, I am wondering what sort of cables I
> have to go to a cable place and ask for to have one I can hook up to a null
> modem cable or something and speak to minicom on an x86 box.

i think mac serial ports are identical to x86 serial ports, they just
use a different type of plug, i think there are converters for mac->standard

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/