Example miboot on new world rom problem

jcarr at mail.linuxppc.org jcarr at mail.linuxppc.org
Sat Nov 11 09:53:32 EST 2000

> setup a 800K Apple_Bootstrap partition where the newworld bootstrap is
> installed, that will solve your problem.  if you put it first you
> don't need to do anything to OpenFirmwares configuration, just reset
> it to defaults.

Ok. That sounds workable. Is that what OSX does also? If so, will it
conflict?

> making yaboot load macos would be non-trivial.  however with current

True!

> > In the other case, miBoot needs to have the ability to change the
> > boot-device if it detects that it is running on a New World ROM
> > machine. Maybe Harry Eaton or Mike Tesch are still around and can help
> > grok bootvars code to add to miboot?
>
> miboot needs alot of things...  simplest way to deal with this is
> don't install miboot on a newworld!  we don't install lilo on sparcs
> or silo on x86 boxes afterall.

Well, I think that the macos will not like the system folder unless it has
a system file. But whatever we put in the system folder as the system
file, we will still have the problem we were having:

Anyone that has a partition visable to the macos and trys to boot off of
it will still get miboot. And, I think, It will be hard to get people not
to expect that to work.
Jeff