controlfb and X

Brad Boyer flar at pants.nu
Tue Nov 7 18:05:45 EST 2000

Michel Lanners wrote:

> On   5 Nov, this message from Robert E Brose II echoed through cyberspace:
> > The problem is that the controlfb driver doesn't recognize more than
> > 2 megs of vram. This particular Mac 7500 has 4 megs installed which
> > works perfectly in MacOS.
>
> Strange. It should detect 4 meg in 2.2 kernels; but maybe not 2.4
> kernels.

There's been a long standing issue on detecting the full 4M on controlfb
that regularly pops up. I happen to have a 7600 with the video upgraded to
4M, so I've been interested in this as well. I've seen several patches
float over the list, and I don't think any of them actually worked for
everyone. I believe the conclusion was that control just didn't act the
same on every machine. I suspect that if you look back through the list
archives, you'll find lots of discussion on this topic.

	Brad Boyer
	flar at pants.nu

P.S.: Try the following search on lists.linuxppc.org in linuxppc-dev:

controlfb;patch;detect