Please bang on GNU Parted ;-)

Simon Piette spiette at generation.net
Sun Nov 5 02:59:23 EST 2000

Hi,

The backend seems to be rock-solid. I've tried to resize a mounted
partitions and parted refuse. I've also tried to resize a partition
filled with 96M to 64M and parted refuse. Is there a test suite for
parted so it could be more systematic?

I am some concerns about the interface, though. At this stage, parted is
like a very sharp knife, without handle. It slices, it dices, but watch
your fingers! :-)

- parted execute right away each command. IMHO, a "commit" command would
  be much more safe. At least for 1.4.0 final, parted should print a
  warning, such as "CAUTION: Commands are executed right away!".

- It should have a read-only switch, so the user could be sure to not
  mess its partition table.

- It would be nice to have the "print" command to display sizes of each
  partitions.

- parted needed to be started with a device. Why not start parted in
  interactive mode anymway, so then the user will ba able to select a
  device?

I really liked the "mkpartfs" and "cp" command, and I expect parted to be
the disk partitioning tool of choice among the PPC Linux community. Good
work!

Simon Piette

* Andrew Clausen (clausen at gnu.org) [001103 17:00]:

--
PGP key ID: 1024D/99290743 	Simon Piette <spiette at generation.net>
PGP Key fingerprint: 9AF9 33F9 A900 E153 9DF3  0625 8928 CB52 9929 0743